Important information for young people moving to Vienna or thinking about spending some time in our beautiful city.

General information - Information and services of the City of Vienna

  • Education & Research
  • Busi­ness & Media
  • Culture & History
  • En­viron­ment & Lei­sure
  • Health & Social Services
  • Trans­portation & Urban Planning
  • Living & Working
  • Politics & Adminis­tration - Service for Foreign Citizens

  • Working
  • Building and Housing
  • Government Authorities
  • Education
  • Documents and Identification
  • Family and Partnership
  • Freetime and Mobility
  • Living in Austria
  • Social Affairs and Emergencies
  • Tax and Finance

migration.gv - Living and Working in Austria

  • Austria at a glance
  • Integration and Citizenship
  • Working
  • Children and Education
  • Housing
  • Health
  • Language

Just landed - Austria

  • Visas & Permits
  • Jobs
  • Housing & Rentals
  • Property
  • Health
  • Money
  • Language
  • Telephone & Internet
  • Education
  • Business
  • Travel & Leisure
  • Culture
  • Moving

SMartAt Mobility

  • Online information portal on mobility issues

Artist Mobility

  • Information on entry, residence and employment of foreign artists in Austria


  • Orientation
  • Citylife
  • Up2date
  • Study
  • Culture
  • Shopping
  • Wine'n'dine
  • Nightlife
  • Leisure

Children and Youth protection in Austria

  • Rules for the protection of minors (e.g. curfew times, smoking, alcohol, sexual relations)

Expat guides for living in Vienna

Experience reports, tips and information from/for expats living in Vienna:


Migration.gv - Housing

Information about:

  • Housing
  • Finding accommodation
  • Acquisition of property - Tips for Home Seekers

Information about:

  • Costs and financing
  • Who is entitled to sell or rent out
  • Legal status of an apartment
  • Non-recurring costs and compensations to outgoing tenants

Confirmation of registration for nationals of EU/EEA countries and Switzerland

Information for EU/EEA and Swiss nationals planning to stay in Austria for more than three months:

Registration - Registration and notice of change

  • Information about compulsory residence registration

Learning German

German für International Students

  • Language schools offering German lessons in Vienna

Vienna language vouchers

  • Language vouchers for EU/EEA and third-country nationals after receiving the confirmation of registration or the residence card


Migration.gv. - Working

Information about:

  • Kinds of employment
  • Employment contracts
  • Renumeration
  • Working time
  • Leave
  • Ending employment

Eures - Living & Working: Austria

  • Labour market information
  • Living and working conditions
  • Free movement

AMS - Public Employment Service Austria

Information about:

  • Working, recruiting and studying in Austria
  • Unemployment insurance
  • European Employment Services (EURES)
  • Migration affairs

  • Information about recognition of professional qualifications

Transferring unemployment benefits for EU-Nationals

  • Information for EU-Nationals moving to another country to seek employment


If you want to volunteer in the framework of a programme (e.g. Volunteering activities in Erasmus+: Youth in ActionICYE, SCI Camps) you have to contact a sending organisation in your country.

If you are planning to look for a volunteer position on your own, you can look for a project on the following websites:

Please keep in mind that usually

  • a good knowledge of German is required.
  • accomodation and food is not provided.
  • you have to fulfill all visa requirements.

Health - Health & Social Service

  • Doctors and pharmacies
  • Health insurance
  • Hospitals

Online guide - Who is insured by whom?

  • Online guide for visitors to Austria
  • Self-insurance for students
  • Self-insurance in the event of minimal occupation

The European Health Insurance Card

  • Health care for EU/EEA nationals travelling or temporarily living in another EU/EEA country

Last updated: July 2022

In Kooperation mit